Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

What Do You Know About Easter?

If you went to church this Easter Sunday, chances are: you know what this day is all about.  In fact, if your pastor would have gotten up and dismissed everyone from the service that knew what Easter was about, you might have come close to having an empty sanctuary.  There might have been one or two that were still trying to figure out all the details, but how honest would they have been about their ignorance?  How silly would they have looked if they stayed?!  I'm betting your pastor did not do this.  And maybe for you, getting up and coming to church today was a challenge for just that reason.   

A Hispanic pastor once told me that most middle class white folks look at church differently than Hispanics.  This was news to me.  “What do you mean?” I asked.  He said, most white folks don’t believe they’ve heard a sermon unless they LEARN something; while most Hispanics don’t think they’ve heard a sermon unless they FEEL something.  I’m not Hispanic, so I cannot speak to that side of his remark; but I have to admit, when it comes to how I see and approach things as a preacher, he could not be more right!

If you really want to tempt me to sin and stroke my ego, all you would have to do is come up to me after a church service and tell me: “Matt, I never heard what you said about 1 Corinthians today, it was completely new to me.  Thanks so much for sharing your vast knowledge with us. Your preaching has changed the way I look at God and the whole Bible.”  OK, if you go that far, I might think you are laying it on a little thick, but you get the idea.  I relish the thought of being used by God to open up a new world of biblical understanding for people.  However, that is not all there is to preaching, worshiping, or even reading Scripture.  If it was, you might not have had any reason to go to church today.  There is also a spiritual, I’d even say emotional side, to receiving God’s Word.  If you are like me, you might get a little uncomfortable when I start talking about emotions in worship.  Perhaps you’ve heard overly-emotional sermons, or been in services where this was the sole focus.   

When I worked in the Baylor mail room, I had a Hispanic supervisor.  When he found out I was going to seminary, he told me a story about what church was like for him growing up that went something like this:

“For starters, we were at the Hispanic Assembly of God church every time the doors were open.  I saw preachers come and go, attended different classes and camps, and went on mission trips.  But the one thing that was a constant for me was the worship.  When I got older I was asked to play drums in the contemporary service.  The more involved I became with the worship service, the more I recognized a pattern.  Our services would start off slow, build to a climax, and somewhere right at the end of the sermon, would always explode in an emotional outpouring of the Spirit.  This became a routine for me, and like most church kids, there were times when I lost sight of the point of it all.  Sometimes, I made a game out of it.  I’d look at someone who was really getting into the service, and I’d say to myself: 'I bet if I play really hard and fast for the next minute, I can make that lady speak and tongues and roll on the floor.'  

True story.  And I bet the Hispanic pastor walked away after the service feeling like I do when someone compliments me on all the new things they learned from my preaching.

We miss out when we focus too much on either side of the coin.  In Acts10:36-43, Peter spells out what everyone “knows” about Christ’s death, burial, and Resurrection.  This was common knowledge for him, the group he was speaking to, and most people that might be reading this.  Interestingly, he prefaces what he knows with what he now realizes as a result of God’s Spirit in verses 34-35:

"I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right (NIV) [emphasis mine]."

May the Holy Spirit impart powerful realizations to you as you recall what you "know" about this special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment